Join the revolution! Avalara Inc., one of the fastest growing technology companies in the United States, is seeking a Senior Tax Specialist.
Recently recognized by Inc. Magazine and other national publications, Avalara is the leader in web‐ based sales and use tax automation services and has experienced explosive growth since its inception in 2004. Based in Seattle, WA, and with offices across the U.S. and overseas, Avalara offers exciting opportunities in numerous fields.
Avalara is seeking an experienced writer to join our growing Professional Services team as a Senior Tax Specialist in our Rocklin, California office. This is an excellent opportunity for the right candidate to join an exceptional group of professionals dedicated to exceeding customer expectations in the delivery of effective tax advisory services.
Primary job duties involve extensive writing and analysis in the following areas:
- Perform state and local tax research for our customers on specific tax-related topics using online research services, our internal tax content databases and libraries and other resources;
- Provide assistance to customers with associating their revenue streams to appropriate tax categories, including assignment of Avalara AvaTax Tax Codes (Tax Code mapping);
- Review sales and use tax nexus study reports compiled by other staff members;
Additional job duties involve providing support in other key areas:
- Provide assistance with voluntary compliance initiatives for our customers;
- Coordinate tax policy discussions with customers to document their tax policies related to data processing requirements
- Review Tax Exposure Analysis reports in conjunction with voluntary compliance initiatives for our customers;
- Prepare Statements of Work for custom tax research projects;
- On occasion, prepare penalty abatement and waiver requests for our customers with high penalty assessments;
- On occasion, prepare internal and external presentations on sales and use tax-related topics.
- Perform other tasks as
- Undergraduate degree (Master’s or JD preferred.)
- 3 – 6 years of research and professional writing experience – preferably in the multistate sales and use tax area (research, consulting, )
- Regional or national public accounting experience with a state or local tax practice a plus.
- Attention to detail.
- Proficiency in tax research.
- Professional demeanor, team player and positive attitude, able to adapt to changing priorities.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Demonstrate high standards of excellence in work product and professionalism.
Avalara is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified candidates will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, age, gender, national origin, disability, US Veteran status, or any other factor protected by law.